Friday, February 18, 2011

Week 7: Paddle Thumbs

We have blueberries folks!



jesyisms.wordpress.com

I am obviously amused by the weekly comparison of the little bug's size to food items. Its a little disturbing though that reading the word "blueberry" in reference to my embryo makes me want to eat blueberry poptarts, smoothies, or blueberry fruit leather. Yum. In my defense, fruit has been a craving since this all began and I have been to Tropical Smoothies twice in the past week. Maybe I'll go today....

Anyway, I get a weekly email from babycenter that keeps me updated on the progress of the pregnancy and this week's description made me laugh. "Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs -- although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny pudgy extremities." This is the make or break developmental moment for the question that I know you are all asking: Will this baby get my nubby thumbs? 

At Hummel Day Camp, where Matt and I met, 2 counselors oversaw a "tribe" of kids. Each day, the counselors were responsible for making up a song about camp for their tribe to perform in front of the whole camp. In one of Matt's early attempts to woo me, he wrote a song for his tribe to sing. I stood unassumingly at the flag pole, listening to the daily songs when Matt's tribe began, (to the tune of Mary had a Little Lamb) 


"Katy Krebs has paddle thumbs, paddle thumbs, paddle thumbs. Katy Krebs has paddle thumbs, and its really weird."

foundmagazine.com

For the record, a song winner was picked each day and this song did not win (MY songs won at least once a week thanks to my clever and witty camp lyrics). I'm glad that my thumbs were the feature that captured Matt's attention (eyes?? smile?? personality?? throw me a bone here Matt!). Hearing that the status of the blueberry is that its growing paddled extremities made me giggle and remember where the dream of this baby all began, on JJ Pershing.

No comments:

Post a Comment