Thursday, August 4, 2011

Week 31: ROYGBIV

The home stretch is into single digits. 9 more weeks (unless this baby is like me and comes 3 weeks late... do they even allow that any more??). I am assuming the odds are that the baby won't come on its due date so I've been brainstorming days that I like that could be potential birthdays. The key is aligning a number I like with a day my Doctor is on call... we will see how cooperative this baby chooses to be.

This week, the baby is measuring over 16 inches long and weighs about 3.3lbs~ the amount of 4 naval oranges.

babycenter.com

I'm not sure why they provide perspective for you with the quarter since we are looking at weight, not size but again, I'm about over BabyCenter's information. This week they sent me an email that included THIS which was traumatizing. If you are bored, curious or clueless to the birthing process, read it (be sure to go past page 1 - 3 and 4 is where it gets good) and you'll probably be horrified, disgusted and thankful that you don't have a delivery looming over your head. At least there is a good prize at the end~ a sack of oranges.

A few weeks ago, my doctor told me I should start tracking the baby's movement a couple of times per day. Baby should move 10 times in an hour (it should most likely happen in 10 minutes) and I should pay attention to it twice a day. This is not good for me. I am bad at daily routines. I don't wash my face every day, I don't shower every day (yea, I said it), I don't clean everyday, I don't get the mail everyday, I don't even take my pre-natal vitamins everyday (I sincerely try with those though~ I just forget sometimes. Plus they smell awful and it makes me gag). Now I'm paranoid that I forgot to check if my baby moved each day~ TWICE! Thankfully, the navals in my naval have been a moving machine the past week or so and it makes it much easier to acknowledge movement when your being punched and kicked in the ribs multiple times a day. Although its a little annoying, its also pretty amazing to think about and I'm still amused seeing my belly move like an alien through the corner of my eye.

Although I am not a pregnancy picture taker, (I feel awkward taking pictures of myself, plus I have an enormous growth on my belly!) I took one for Miss Courtney who is in California and wanted a baby update. Being that she is a medical professional and would not judge, I complied and have now decided to go out on a limb and share with all you lucky readers (so stop bugging me! haha).


In exchange for the picture, Courtney is coming to visit me in 29 days. What do I get from you??

I guess oranges are appropriate this week since colors have been taking over my life. I mentioned the multiple color samples on our walls a few posts ago. My mental image started with blueish, greenish, aqua colors. Water Mark, Valley Mist & Tide Pools did not work for me. I'm telling you, this room is the weirdest lit room ever. Colors transform into bizarre hues that are nothing like what they appeared to be (maybe I should quit judging the previous owners with their choice of pink). From blues I tried a creamy, butter color. Belle Grove Light Amber, Filoli Honey, Oatlands Yellow... no dice. Then I got some green samples, Coriander Seed, Sea Kelp and Chameleon? More like canned spinach, baby diarrhea, and St. Patty's poop.

I had initially liked the idea of gray but I was afraid it would look gloomy. I humored Matt with a Pensive Sky sample and we both hated it. Oatlands Subtle Taupe? Too Taupe. Notre Dame? Too Purple. Frappe? Too Green. Finally we settled on Filtered Shade and decided to go all-in. The other colors obviously weren't working and gray was at least a neutral that worked with the accessories I have planned for the room. Drumroll.... We bought the gallon! The room turned from pepto to filtered shade. Empty of any of the pops of color, it looked sterile and boring. We held off on the 2nd coat and I told myself it would be good once we got everything in the room. The convincing didn't work and even Matt knew the color was wrong. Too blue on the Filtered Shade gray. UUUGGHH! Back to the Depot. We went darker than we intended because we kept finding ourselves drawn to the more bold shades (that I was avoiding in an attempt to keep a nursery soft, sweet and baby-like). Wood Smoke.... another gallon purchased.


Smoke covering the Shade. Ignore cellphone pictures~ the colors don't look right but trust me on this one, we FINALLY got the right color. Now for the bad news. We have issues or stirring or something. The edges/trim and corners that I painted looked like an entirely different color than the rolled portions. In the past 2 years, I have painted 10 rooms plus an entire kitchen's worth of cabinets and that has never happened to me before. It happened on the Filtered Shade and now with our Wood Smoke (its got to be the walls, not the application right?!?). Sooo... at 10:30 last night I did a second coat on all of the edges (and the GD window/window seat - I hate edging). Now, all the edges are a smidge darker than the rolled parts. Awesome. Did I mention that we have used the ENTIRE gallon on both shades of gray painted? This stupid room is dry-walled in sponge. 1 coat (plus a quick second coat on edges) should not take an entire gallon of paint. Today, we'll be back to the Depot for another stupid gallon and another stupid coat of paint. I'm soooooo over this paint that if this next coat doesn't work out, I'm going to call every one of you crying until someone comes and does it for me.

We also bought a gallon of Solar Fusion which is a snazzy mustard color that we will be using to paint a dresser and a smaller nightstand thing to eventually look similar to this....


Glazed with black, our yellow furniture better turn out as cool as it looks in my head. Its taken GIANT steps for me to accept putting 2 Craigslist pieces of furniture into baby's room (I don't like touching them, even though Matt disinfected them. In my defense, I went to the house we got them from. I'll be re-applying the Lysol at least once before they are 'ready'). Between the yellow furniture, red chair,  black furniture, black and white bedding, and my wall art projects, I think its going to come together. Now if the frickin' paint would cooperate.

Such a pretty rainbow we've plowed through. This week in ROYGBIV recap...

Red: The leather chair for baby. And the color (Cherry) of the OhKaty diaper I ordered. After lots of research and reviews, it turns out Matt & I are digging the OhKaty's. With a name like that... Duh.

Orange: The weight of the baby BTW, the DQ by our house recently turned into a DQ/Orange Julius and Matt brought one home yesterday - not knowing about the navals. OJ was a BIG let-down. It was the consistancy of thick milk, not a frozen frothy smoothie. We'll make our own, thanks. DQ will be reserved for Nutter Butter Blizzards.

Yellow: Solar Fusion Furniture (and the color of our yard - talk about baked in this heat!)

Green: The color of this delicious marinade we ate for dinner last night, the envy I have for rooms with finished paint on the walls and the color of the toothbrush rug Matt has attempted to weave for the baby's room (Google it). Also the color of OhKaty #2 I ordered (Apple Green to be exact. If I ordered 2, I got free shipping :))

Blue: The multiple failed attempts at paint on the walls and my failed initial vision for the nursery. Blue is for boys anyways, right? This could be a girl.

Indigo: The color of my knee after I fell down the garage stairs last night. Don't panic~ it was 3 stairs and I caught myself, well my knee/leg did, well if by "caught" you mean ending up on the ground with a bloody and bruised leg. Matt to the rescue.
*No Navals were harmed in the creation of my indigo knee

Violet: The color of my birthstone. Happy Half Birthday to ME! (in 2 days) Remember when my Mom made Patrick a half Birthday Cake?? Its probably because he is her favorite (violins).

4 comments:

  1. You are too cute Katy! I saw your post on facebook and had to check it out - love it!! Enjoy these last few weeks before your baby love arrives . . . sounds like you are going to busy finishing up the nursey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that yellow nightstand...I look at that blog every so often and always look at that piece. Man, if I had free time the things I would do. Can't wait to see pics of the room and eventually of a bigger belly and a baby! This will be my only connection to those 3 things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're just trying to get a 1/2 birthday cake...
    What flavor? Oh... I know... ORANGE cake, right?!? (At least Charlie won't eat any of it!)
    (Pat will be happy that his 1/2 face made your blog again.)

    ~mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy wants banana cake after I get home.

    ReplyDelete