Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week 30: Cabbage Patch

We're in the thirties! Woo Hoo! I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Its good because I want this little baby HERE, I want to know what he/she looks like (what he/she IS for that matter), I want to have a margarita on a flipping hot day, I want to sleep through the night without getting up to pee 47 times, and I want sushi! Its bad because I don't know what to do with a baby (yes I've babysat, yes I have instincts, yes I'll figure it out but it's scary), I feel unprepared in terms of "baby stuff" (I'll touch on this later in this post), I am a little selfish in thinking about the things I/we will no longer be able to do (sleep in, watch my DVR for an entire day uninterrupted, go out whenever/wherever, spend $1million dollars eating out) and 18+ years of responsibility for someone else is a little nerve-wracking! Good or bad, its coming.

I'm over the produce thing but to stick with tradition, I'll keep you all in the loop for the last 10 weeks. The baby weighs about 3 pounds this week, about the weight of a head of cabbage.


No, you aren't hallucinating. We just talked about cabbage like 2 weeks ago (remember? I like sauerkraut?). But apparently, Chinese cabbage and heads of cabbage are different enough and interesting enough to the info writers to dedicate an entire week to them.

party-games-etc.com

"Look at me, I'm a head of cabbage"

http://www.babygeartoday.com/cabbage-patch-kids-turn-25.html

These are the only amusing cabbages I can think of this week. Google said Cabbage Patch Kids will be 28 years old in September. I'll be 28 in February. #ilovethe80s Google also has more amusing 3 pounders than cabbage, for example, an average human brain.

Ray: D'you know that the human head weighs 8 pounds?
Jerry: Did you know that Troy Aikman, in only six years, has passed for 16,303 yards? Ray: D'you know that bees and dogs can smell fear? Jerry: Did you know that the career record for hits is 4,256 by Pete Rose who is NOT in the Hall of Fame? Ray: D'you know that my next door neighbor has three rabbits? Jerry: I... I can't compete with that!

Besides the baby's weight, the only other piece of wisdom is that there is about a pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounding it. Matt enjoyed some pints last night. So did his boyfriend Wes. We went to the Peterson's for dinner and as the boys drank moonshine Ashley's dad made, a $40 bottle of whiskey, and some fancy beers, Ashley and I dreamt about our payback dinner when the boys (plus the babies) would be responsible while WE got to drink blended fruity drinks, sangria, hoppy beers (Ashley), a plain old beer.... whatever our little hearts desired (although, it really isn't a fair trade considering after about 2 of those, we will be drunk). Anyway, aside from the beverages we also had a lively discussion about what baby stuff we need to prepare for these little bugs to come.

"We don't need clothes because the baby won't leave the house. We don't need food because you make that. We don't need books or toys because the baby won't need those for at least 6 months to a year..." -Wes

"We don't need a stroller. The baby will be born in October and it'll be too cold. We don't need that until next spring. We already have blankets. Towels work for burp cloths. We don't need a swing."
-Matt


"I don't know if I can handle a baby monitor thanks to Paranormal Activity and Insidious."
-Ashley

Hahaha! Not throwing Ashley under the bus, she was on my side. Her quote was just funny. These boys have no clue what baby train is about to hit them. Registering for baby stuff is going to be about as fun as registering for wedding stuff was (which did not go well for Matt and I). This weekend we are taking on that beast and I am hoping it will help settle some of my feelings of being unprepared. The good news is I control the online registry so I am 100% sure I will have to add and subtract things once Matt gets distracted. In his defense, he is really good at researching brands and product lines so he will be useful for the big stuff like strollers and car seats. As for breast pads, pacifiers, anything plush, and anything not 100% utilitarian.... I'll be taking care of that.

I do give credit where credit is due so I also must acknowledge Matt's research of cloth diapers. We went to Baby Junk yesterday, a new store in Omaha, to see some diapers in person and we will most likely be going the cloth route. It's pretty amazing all of the stuff they have come out with to "Go Green" and get away from some of the chemicals and waste. Although 95% of our decision is economical rather than environmental (we won't be buying a set of 'hybrids' if we travel, we'll probably buy a case of huggies), I think its going to be a good investment (and a good arguement for me to have more babies - after we buy the set, we never have to buy diapers for another baby again! *take that with a grain of salt). Plus, they are cute! Baby Junk is officially housing our first baby registry although it isn't our exclusive diaper outlet because Google showed me a brand of the "one size picket-diapers" we are interested in (that Baby Junk doesn't carry) called "OhKaty." Um Duh, the baby needs at least 1 diaper that says "OhKaty" on it.

ohkaty.com

There are tons of colors and patterns~ again, its bittersweet not knowing the gender. Matt claims he has no problems with a boy in a pink diaper but the more neutral colors will make more sense with the unknown future of our brood. I did add a few girl and boy colors to the registry though... we can't own nothing in pink if it's a girl. Girls in blue are easier to get away with so boy blues have made the cut too.

It's Me time.

Uncomfortable Tummy.
I have had a crazy busy week at work as I am planning/putting on our Annual Golf Tournament this Friday for work. Last year, the tournament was the week before my wedding. This year, I am 30 weeks pregnant and its going to be 90 degrees and hot (is it bad that I am glad its only supposed to be 90?). In the office we were joking about what next year will bring for me.... twins? Hahaha~ don't worry Matt, I knocked on wood.

Chubby Tummy.
Last night, Wes and Ashley did a tummy touch (don't worry, they asked permission) and commented on how hard it felt. Being that its my own gut, I don't notice it being hard. I know its mostly baby but any pregnant person can understand my feeling that its a massive blob of chub. I was glad they thought it was hard, not squishy and for a brief second, I felt like I wasn't a cow. Then I ate 40 BBQ ribs.

Alien Tummy.
Finally, Matt said the other night when he came to bed, baby was a moving machine. I was asleep and my wonderful hubby snuggled up to me and put his hands on my tummy. He and baby had a moment while I was passed out cold. To be a fly on the wall... makes me teary just thinking about it. Love. Love. Love.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm totally blog-stalking you now that I found that you had one! It's a great blog, and you're a good writer. Anyway, just wanted to say that we love cloth diapers and Alex and I are basically experts at this point=) Let me know if you have questions! I know I had a lot when I first started. Luca didn't even fit into any of our diapers until about 2 weeks...but it looks like your babe might be a little bigger than Luca at birth=)

    ReplyDelete