Thursday, August 11, 2011

Week 32: Perspectives


The baby weighs almost 4 pounds at this point (well, between 3.75 and 4 depending on the source – and frankly at this point I think its every baby for themselves in comparison to the ‘norms’). That would be about the weight of a jicama.

naturespride.eu

My complaint on this weeks produce is that jicamas are just ugly (what is the plural of jicama? Jicami?). I do like jicama though. Apparently there are babies out there promoting consumption of root as well…

cafepress.com

The things people put on the internet.

I was thrilled to go to my checkup this week and discover that I weighed .4lbs less than I did 2 weeks ago. It doesn’t matter that my bladder was not full and that my 10:20 appointment had me weighing in at 11:35 and starving. It’s the little victories. Med student shadowing my doctor was a weirdo and he gave an awkward “wow” comment when he measured my stomach insinuating it was big. Whatever buddy, I’m down 0.4! 

My wait at the doctor’s office had me very grateful for the life situation I’m in. There is some really good people watching at the Creighton Women's Health Clinic and it made my hour and 20 minute wait interesting to say the least. Out of the 5 patients I observed, none had wedding rings on, 4 had additional children in tow, 3 had translation issues with the front desk, 1 had a major insurance issue that required being put on hold for 45 minutes and 1 needed a medical voucher for a cab to get home.  Just when I started to get irritated with my own wait, I realized life could be a lot more difficult and at least my time had me missing out on my job…with a salary… and benefits. Perspective.

As my stomach is getting bigger, my ‘inny’ belly button is becoming more of an ‘outy’. I wouldn’t say it’s popped, there is still some ‘inny-ness’ but way less than there has ever been. This development has led to my discovery of a little freckle inside my belly button. Who knew?!? 27.5 years and I sure didn’t! I discovered a freckle behind my ear when I was in college and felt the same sense of revelation. What else don’t I know about this body I’ve been living in forever? Perspective. 

Bodies are weird. Babies inside of bodies feel weird. This baby has been kicking up a storm lately and I think its using my ribs as a foot massager. It feels really nice (sarcasm).

siberianproducts.com

I would imagine my ribs work similarly to this contraption.

Matt and I were laughing this week about the potential for our baby to have my paddle thumbs and Matt’s hammer toes. Poor mutant thing! Mix in Uncle Patrick’s webbed toes and this baby would be monster! I guess we’ll just have to wait and see which genetic blessings Baby is graced with. Speaking of 'wait and see,' I watched a show on mom’s giving birth in prison last night and one lady was waiting to see what color her baby was so she would know if it should go to stay with the boyfriend, or the husband (who was in the burn unit after his meth lab blew up). 2 weeks after birth, she still couldn’t tell and baby ended up going to Amish foster parents (who prison lady was glad “weren’t too religious”). Once again, perspective. I’ll take paddle thumbs and hammer toes, just as long as there are 10 fingers and 10 toes!

The baby prep is coming along much better after my meltdown last week. We got the registries situated and the paint is finally DONE. The registering at Babies R’ Us was the nightmare I figured it would be and sorry to say, it went a lot smoother when I went again, alone. That is not a dig at Matt, in his defense, I went to Target armed with a list. I’m just glad it’s done and hopefully we honed in on the necessities and not just the cute fluffy stuff.

My subtle hints in last weeks blog about cake seemed to work although the cake my mom made was not a half birthday, it was a whole anniversary. Matt and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary on Sunday (Aug 7th, which was also the 6th month anniversary of the positive pregnancy test) and my mom made this delicious cake so we could celebrate.


You can’t tell in the picture but the purple/blue frosting was swirled in different shades of blues and purples~ which were the colors of our wedding. If you are wondering why we would need a cake and not just eat the traditional frozen top tier of our own wedding cake, the reason is because we had no frozen top tier. When Matt and I were loaded into my Dad’s cousin’s car to take us home after our wedding reception, someone thought it would be wise to send the cake with us. While Matt was busy napping and waking up to give the wrong directions to the driver (mind you, it was a straight shot home~ literally 3 turns needed if you included the one into our driveway), I was in the back seat starving and holding a cake. Wait a minute here… I got like 2 bites of this cake and it was damn good. Naturally, I started digging in. In the back seat of my Dad’s cousin’s car (sorry about the crumbs Annette). Without a fork.

The one legit bite of cake I had at the reception
The top tier that rode home with me... to be frozen 

Fast Forward to about 6am the next morning. I woke up next to Matt, still in his tux, SOUND asleep, and I really had to pee. I went into the bathroom and sat down to go, only half awake and with only half of my half that was awake, coherent. All of the sudden the door pushed open and in walked my little Gus. Oh hi, Gus, who sleeps in his kennel overnight. Why are you free in the house? I walked into the kitchen and sitting on the counter, was the top tier of the cake. Lets just say it was a hot mess (the half that was left, that is). It was obvious utensils were not needed, or used. I’d like to say that Gus being unsupervised overnight was responsible but based on the cake's countertop location, and my obsession with buttercream, I’m pretty sure we all know the culprit (this is the same person who told Matt to get his own piece of cake at a wedding and I would get 2 pretending one was for him, when really, I wanted two, so he had to fend for himself). Yea, I ate the cake. And you know what? It probably tasted WAY better then than it would have this past Sunday~ so there!

Some of the PG pictures leading up to the cake massacre.

Anyway, we had a very nice anniversary, the paper year, and its pretty crazy to think of how drastically our lives have changed in 12 short months. Perspective. I don't think either of us really know how much the next 12 will change our lives but we are so excited to find out. Here is one last wedding picture to pay tribute to this time 1 year ago...

The beginning of the rest of our lives.



2 comments:

  1. my perspective (for what it's worth)...
    this baby is VERY lucky already!
    so much love waiting for him/her...
    so much happiness coming with her/him...
    so much family eager to be part of every moment of his/her life...
    so much more frosting thanks to her/him!!

    can't wait!
    ~ grandma (there, i typed it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perspectives!!! I love it! It's what life IS! And as a Domestic Engineer of 4 and being around & involved with kids my whole life, I do believe that children truly have some of the best perspectives in the world!!! Hammers?...Paddles?...Webbed filanges? All very useful! And only baby Core can only thank you and shine his/her perspective on these attributes in question:).
    Perspectives, everyone has one:). I anxiously await and look forward to yours over this next year!
    SOOOOO excited for the arrival of baby! (or, Thor Core, compliments of Eric)
    XOXOXO
    Your Favorite Cuzn Kelly :)
    P.S. Katy, one thing's for sure...at least you & I know the face will be flawless:)

    ReplyDelete