Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 28: Vinegar

The baby's weight is 2.25 lbs, the weight of Chinese cabbage.


thegoodfoodcollective.com

I mentioned before about liking my cucumbers pickled and likewise, I like my cabbage krauted.

vegonline.org

Mmmm... reubens, brats, straight from the jar (yes I've done that)~ maybe my thing is with vinegar. I was a little late getting to my weekly email this week and, no joke, yesterday I went home for lunch, made a quick grocery list and wrote down "cabbage." Even though my intended slaw bag of cabbage wasn't a 2.25 lb Chinese cabbage, it is a sort of random grocery item to have on the mind~ especially since the rest of the list was milk, bread, and other basic necessities. When I went back to work and had a chance to see the email, cabbage was no surprise. I should have guessed! I got on my 'slaw' kick last week when I made up a version of 'Fumi Salad' (that salad with Raman noodles broken up) sans the Raman (trying to be healthier from the 4lbs last week). It was tasty. I like Asian-y flavors and the crunch from the cabbage, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds I added and most importantly, the vinegar-y dressing I made for it. (Yep, its the vinegar I subconsciously want). Long story short, again, I ate the baby. It's like pregnancy premonitions.

Oh, this blog is about a baby, not what I eat? The baby is blinking and can sense light. It has eyelashes and is building more and more fat to get ready for the world. OMG! Speaking of fat... did you read this lovely little story?? Giant Baby. A mother in Texas had a 16 POUND baby!!!

blippitt.com

Are you kidding me? The mom had gestational diabetes which contributed to the problem but this was not an encouraging story to read days before my own diabetes screening (and days after my doctor said I was measuring "a liiiitle big" (say 'liiitle' in a squeaky voice). Whatevs. I did my diabetes screening and the lady taking my blood thought testing me was ridiculous because I had no diabetes. Yay for me, Yay for my lady parts (granted the 16 pounder was a C-section), and Yay for a new perspective on a 'big' baby. 8, 9, even 10 pounders sound like a cake walk! Haha! Says the lady who has no idea what the heck her body is about to go through in a few short months.

Being that this is week 28, I am officially into the 3rd trimester. I hate being a complainer about pregnancy because I feel like I'm insulting the baby but I am definitely starting to get uncomfortable. 3 more months of this?!? The biggest issue I have is pain on the side of my ribs, up almost under my armpit. There is no position that eases the pain (except to lay down) and it seems to stem from sitting.... which conveniently I do for 8 hours every day. My belly is also getting bigger and it is getting more difficult to cover it completely. I'm sure anyone who has been pregnant can relate to the awkward realization that your bare belly skin is exposed below your belly button~ usually in a very public place like the grocery store, or work.

babynamebox.com

Imagine this, plus 20 pounds (or 30, or 35...) and no photoshop color correction (my belly hasn't seen sunshine since October). I guess the sooner you get over the embarrassment of personal exposure, the better off you will be when there are 4+ faces between your legs at birth.

3rd Trimester means I need to get in gear with this nursery. I'm too indecisive thinking, 'that's too girly' 'that's not girly enough.' I need to just come to terms with accessorizing post-baby. I ordered a rug that I was iffy about but the return costs would have come to basically the cost of the rug so once I hit "confirm order" the fate of the rug was sealed.

ikea.com

I was nervous for a week waiting for the rug to get in but now that its here, the more I look at it, the more I like it. The white is not as stark white as it looks in this picture (which eased one of my fears) and what I thought was black is dark navy but the reds, yellows and greens are close to the shades I was envisioning and my wall art I started looks really good with it. The rug pushed us to get committed to a wall color and after 4 sample colors have been smeared on the wall, we aren't any closer to a decision. The darn pepto-bismol pink is sooooo distracting! We are making progress though... slowly but surely.

In news that has nothing to do with the baby, Gus had to get a haircut this week. His sweater was not working out for him with this heat wave we're having and it was getting hard to see his cute little eyes. He is definitely an indoor dog in the summers (but he LOVES snow) and his favorite spot is on top of the vent in our kitchen (which makes for a funny blowout on his ears and mustache every 45 min or so). I got him ready for an "R word" Monday and I thought he was going to pee with excitement. He rode shotgun licking the air blowing from the A/C vent and was in good spirits until we got into the door of the groomers. I had to drag him. There is a bird at our groomer (and 15 other dogs, cats and small animals running around) and I think the squawks fall into the vaccuum category as far as Gus's likes go. He looked at me with the saddest little eyes as I handed him off to the groomer and he curled up into a ball the closet he could to the door. 2 yippee little white dogs were all over him and he just looked at me defeated. He is usually the one jumping all over everyone and every dog so you can imagine how awful I felt. I left, and I cried. My poor baby. Baby. What the hell am I going to do when this is my BABY?!? I cried leaving my dog at the groomer for 4 hours where despite my description, I know he is taken care of and treated well. What will I do when I leave my baby to go to the bathroom? Take a shower? The grocery store? Work? God forbid, an overnight trip??? I can hear the snickers from all you mommies out there. I know I'll get over it eventually. Thank God my mom isn't still with me 24/7. Babies grow into big people one day~ I'll just have to put myself in my own 'kid' shoes!

My sympathy for Gus ended about 5 minutes after Matt brought him home with his new haircut. Even though I am his #1 fan, I am the first to admit he looks stupid with haircuts. Walter had been mopey and depressed the whole day without Gus but as soon as he got back, the 2 were at it. "Get Outside!" They have been naughty all week and the evidence is clear....




That was a boa - long story on its origins but I came home with it, set it high on the counter, went upstairs for less than 10 minutes and returned downstairs to this. If baby is a girl, she should not have feathery, fluffy things. A day later, I saw Wiggy nosing around in something pinkish in the yard. Fearing it was the innards of another bird, I went outside to find a wad of feather puke. At least it was faux feathers.

I'll end this post with good wishes and mental pictures for your weekend. Coming soon, Matt and Katy - parents-to-be pictures!

beccasheppard.wordpress.com

HAHAHAA! You've got to love the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment