Friday, January 27, 2012

Meet n' Greet

Our good friends Wes and Ashley finally had their baby so Benji finally has a friend. Emma Grace was born January 9th. My initial thoughts were that she looked like Wes but Matt argued that the only person she looked like was Benji because all newborns resemble each other. The old me may have agreed but the new mommy me begs to differ. Whatevs. She has dark eyes, a full head of thick hair, long fingernails that came out like a perfect manicure, and a tan! Yay for Emma being here!

We had dinner with the new fam this week and it was Banjo and Emma’s first official date. Holy Cow, when did I get a 4 yr old? That’s what I felt like after seeing the 2 side by side. Benji looked enormous and Emma looked teeny tiny. She’s a solid 8 lbs. but she looks a lot leaner than Benji ever was. We propped them up for a photoshoot and even though I took 49 pictures, the very first one cracks me up.


Benji looks a combo of terrified/repulsed/confused/shocked/scared/curious. Emma (who does have a neck and does not have a hunchback) is thinking “let me get my 8 hours of sleep” (like Wes). That or that she has to poop (which they both did about 10 minutes later – Emma and Benji, not Emma and Wes). Here is a montage of shots from the over-zealous camera bearing mommy.



‘WTF is that’   *   Full body scan   *   ‘She looks alright’

Elbow jab   *   'Eeek' (one of my faves)   *   ‘I don’t think shes moving’

‘Is she alive? Can someone check?’   *   Yawn- this is boring   *   G-rated 'F your pictures, Mom'

First date jitters   *   If we put our heads together…. *   Okay Emma’s waking up

Pinky out, so proper   *   Benji needs a place to rest his massive head   *   Emma says, 'not on me'

Just making sure we have the wedding video covered…. In case we need pictures for one, one day.

This baby picture explosion made me think about people saying babies are cute. Telling me Benji is cute is a much appreciated compliment. Thanks! I agree! But when people phrase it as “You make cute babies!” I feel a twinge of discomfort. People who say that are usually older and my mind immediately hones in on the “make” portion of the statement. I think of the act that made the baby. This is uncomfortable when it’s an uncle, or neighbor, or weird co-worker, or complete stranger telling you that. Are they thinking of me and Matt making the baby too? Even worse is “You did good.” It sounds so blunt. When I type the words, in my head they are in a gruff, pat on the back with affirmation, man to man thumbs up kind of voice. Awkward, American Pie kind of stuff.  I feel like an old man is snickering, giving Matt a high-five saying, ‘done did good, boy’ in reference to successfully impregnating me with some super sperm to ensure the legacy of his seed.  Creepy. Please stick to the plain old “cutes.”

Back to the babies. Emma again, reaffirms the fact that my baby is not a baby anymore, and I need to make plans for another one. I sound like a baby hoarder. I don’t always need a baby, or need 10 of them, Benji just needs another baby to play with – 24/7 (see Matt, its all for Benji!).  

Speaking of all for Benji, he’s had a hankering for sweets lately (breastfeeding allows me to justify indulgences, blame it on the baby!) and dinner at the Peterson’s gave me an excuse to try out a recipe (now there is something I do hoard). I whipped up a little Coconut Cake with Triple Berry filling and Coconut Buttercream. I had been wanting to try out the ombré layered cake craze all over the baking blogs (and Pinterest) and it turned out pretty snazzy if I do say so myself.

would look much cooler without the fruit filling
 
Feel free to call me to make you a baby gender reveal cake. This would be the cutest for one of those!

I can’t believe all the changes 3 short months have brought and in 3 short more (2 ½), we will have Baby Krebs here too (making Emma look like a 4 yr old and Benji look like a 5th grader). It’s always exciting to think of the next baby milestones and I’m so excited for Benji to scoot, say mama, reach for me… but seeing a newborn really reminded me to savor the days now because they will be gone in a flash. My days of snuggling a little ball of baby scented squish are numbered!

this is already outdated!





No comments:

Post a Comment