Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Baby Got Bath

For those of you who don’t already know, Matt is going to Afghanistan with the Air Guard. He leaves sometime in the beginning of February and returns what he claims will be late April but I can count (and read his orders) and 90 days is May. I am obviously not happy about this (especially when I think about how Benji is not even 90 days old) but I just keep telling myself it could be worse. A 90 day deployment is nothing compared to what some have to do. I’m sure there will be more on the deployment later but it dawned on me in November that I wanted Benji baptized before Matt left.

Did you know you have to go to Baptism classes? Well, I had no idea. Good thing I called in November because classes are only offered once a month and you first have to be an official parishioner, and you can only do that the first Sunday of the month, and they schedule 1 baptism session per month…. Blah blah blah. Thanks to Baptism, we are now official parishioners (I also volunteered to bake for funereal luncheons~ I figured I had to check off one of the 900 volunteer options and Matt might not appreciate the rosary making circle). The class was 2 Sundays for 2 hours, not too bad but a little reminiscent of the marriage class we took a couple of short years ago. I took one for the team and went to the first one alone (Guard is ruining my life) but Matt joined me for week 2 (after QUITE the night out with his friends – NO sympathy from me Sunday morning).

Takeaways:
-Anyone can baptize another person into the Catholic faith.
-Anything can be used to baptize someone (examples given were spit and bathtub water)
-You can be baptized by any name you would like (example given was ‘Ballpoint Pen’)

Those Baptism Class Instructor Couples are so silly.

Banjo needed a God family so we tried to be Switzerland on the matter and pick one from each side.

Kat's brother Pat
Matt's sister Kat

Uncle Patrick dubbed himself “Rodfather” (you haven’t foregotten his obsession with the name have you?), shocking. Who knew ‘Rodney’ would make its way to God.

Anyway, after a little brunch/celebration/chance for Benji to wear his cute white sweater pants outfit, Benji took a bath and became a member of the Catholic church. Go God!

family time
no more original sin!
godparents

Takeaways:

-White is a good color on babies, they consume white and spit up white.
-Due to an Etsy seller issue, I have a supply of white leather loafer baby shoes fitting size 0-12 months. Classy.
-Benji was not the only one at the Baptism in white leather loafers (the other was the godfather of the baby baptized in a ‘diva’ bib)
-Sweater pants are cute, button crotches suck (too bad I had already purchased a red sweater pants Christmas outfit)
-French Toast Casseroles are delicious
-When I say I want to buy Benji a crucifix, I mean a cross MATT.

Obviously a Baptism is more important and serious than the items mentioned but I won’t get into the details. Catholic or not, believe in something!

This was Benji's reaction to the whole experience...

snores.

1 comment:

  1. It's true about the Baptizing anyone...I have baptized a few babies that died soon after. We used sterile water from the hospital and did it at the bedside. It's amazing how in that moment of craziness everything got very quiet and serene. Welcome Benji!

    ReplyDelete