Thursday, June 2, 2011

Week 22: Spaghetti Squash

This week marks the point a baby could survive outside of the womb (with medical assistance), says my book. That's a big accomplishment as far as I'm concerned! We are on the downhill now as weeks tick by to get to the due date although I don't know if what's to come is really "downhill" on the ease factor. This lovely 22nd week, the baby is the length of a spaghetti squash.


blogs.smithsonianmag.com

I like spaghetti squash but I appreciate the fruit references more than the veggies. The baby weighs a whole pound now which is not encouraging in the big weight gain scheme of things. Water weight. Water weight. Water weight. I lost 4 lbs in about 4 hours last night between weighing in with wet hair fresh out of the shower, and the 6 bathroom breaks I took before finally falling asleep after midnight. Yes readers, I am one of those who is entertained by weight loss before and after going to the bathroom. Its like instant gratification and considering I have to pee at least 14 times after I hit the pillow, this is one of the few things that makes getting out of my warm, cozy bed worth it.

Back to baby, I read last week that the baby was swallowing amniotic fluid and the taste would be altered based on what I consumed. It suggested mixing things up with spice, sweetness, etc. I obviously don't have a problem with that. I have eaten Indian food 3 times since I read that which hopefully gets some spice and exotic flavors in there, sweet is never an issue, I had a watermelon (yes A watermelon - it was small), I made jalapeno hummus, and I am trying to eat lots of veggies. I sort of think being 'picky' is a learned trait and hopefully this baby won't be too difficult. Tooth buds developing are the final bit of 'new' this week.

My mom was back on the "Let's eat the baby" kick last week. These are the cupcakes she made for a family picnic.


They have blue and pink carrots frosted on them (they're carrot cake - baby was bunny food last week). Blue cupcakes had nuts and pink ones didn't. "Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't." Clever.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the fruit vs. veggie comparisons... not as much fun to cook you veggies as it is to bake you treats! Hmmmmm.... spaghetti squash pie? Spaghetti squash gelato? Spaghetti squash fudge?

    Yuck.

    Maybe your favorite Vegetable Melange with spaghetti squash added (???)
    Or maybe just wait until next week...

    Getting more & more excited each week, that's for sure! Is my grandbaby kicking yet??

    ReplyDelete