Monday, February 20, 2012

Get Lo

So Matt is gone (just in time for a big snow that I had to shovel because I never learned how to start the snowblower)... BOOOOO. The military is sooooo... silly. I dropped Matt off on his base at like 5:15 am and the entire "send off" scenario was nothing like I imagined. In the movies, there is always a big hurrah with families lined up along a path to the airplane, or sitting on gym bleachers waving flags while the soldiers march in pretty formations saluting the flag. Not in real life. Maybe its because this is just the Air Guard or the deployment is just 3 months but regardless, I felt more like I was at the airport in the loading zone than the send-offs on tv. There were cones set up for cars to drive through to drop off their soldiers with pretty much a "keep moving" and "no parking" vibe. Insert awkward hug with Matt holding 5 million pounds of gear, me crying off the previous day's eye makeup and cars behind us eager to pull up to the door. Welp, see ya later.

I wasn't really mad there was no big parade, I'm not much for fun at 5:15 am (just ask Matt), especially with a drive back to Omaha looming, but had I known I had 3 seconds outside of the running car to say goodbye, I may have... I don't know what I would have done. Like ripping off a band-aid, it was quick and as painless as watching your husband leave for 90 days to go to the tumultuous Middle East where he carries around a loaded M-16 (says his handouts) can be.

Here's what we think about Matt being gone.


Since my Holiday binge, since I gave birth to Banjo, since I started growing with a banjo, since our honeymoon all-inclusive gluttony, since my "get skinny for your wedding" diet ended, I have been meaning to get "back" into shape. Unfortunately, there is always the start of a new week, or a new month, or another Monday, perfect for starting a new healthy regime right around the corner. Lately, Matt's departure seemed like a good starting point to get back on track.

When Matt went to Iraq, I ran 2 miles, religiously, every single day. I got kind of skinny, imagine that! For someone whose last workout was over a year ago, pre-baby, that seemed a little lofty so I set the strenuous goal of 1 mile each day (give a sister a break, its hard being a single mom, whose baby doesn't sleep and who hates mornings).

Pinterest

Whatever, Pinterest. Hey, 1 mile is 1 more than I was running. I'm not running marathons or body building over here (and Matt's insane to even utter the words 'Tough Mudder' to me), I'd just like a cookie now and again without a massive muffin top. Even better, I'd like more than 3 pairs of my jeans to fit again (chalk that up to baby... it obviously has nothing to do with my love of all things edible).

I am currently 10 for 10 on days and miles in Matt's absence. Go me! I have gone back and forth in my head about whether or not I should share the following information but hey, you've seen me in labor, know way to much about my baby parts, and maybe this will be motivation to get my sh** together (and attempt to save some face). Here it is... I have shaved 10 minutes off my mile. To you amateurs, that sounds great! To anyone remotely active, this is so shameful. I had 10 minutes to be shaved from a mile. TEN MINUTES from ONE MEASLY MILE. Ten minutes are GONE and I still have enough minutes left to RUN A MILE. Pathetic, shameful, disgraceful.... I know. You can just imagine what the initial run looked like. In my defense, it was literally, the first workout in over a year and this body did not stretch or warm-up (as if that would have helped). AND, I am not a runner in the first place. My best mile time ever in my life was probably in the mid-sevens. I was probably 10. But, day after day I keep trudging to the basement to run my stupid mile. Not only is it helping me (I hope), its also helping Benji learn to "self-soothe" (remember when I mentioned that he doesn't sleep? he conveniently likes to wake up on mile 0.2 which means my heart breaks a little bit each second it takes to get to my mile. If he's crying, he's breathing, right?).

Pinterest
So there!

Once its warm, I bet it takes about 1 mile to run to the brand-new Donut Professor (which is next door to Eileen's Cookies) and home. Haha! My 10 for 10 is improving though, slowly but surely. I got on the scale the other day and it said "lo". Unfortunately, I think it was referring to batteries, not my weight but hey, what you don't know can't hurt you (like the actual number) right?

Matt's 'getting healthy' involves me shipping $200 worth of protein to him... apparently the 'mess hall' and their sodium-packed fake meats aren't enough for him. PLUS, since he works the night shift, he thinks chicken fingers (which are the healthiest meat offered) for breakfast are weird. PLUS, his first day, the 12-hour shift turned into a 19 hour shift with no food breaks. Ridiulous (see Benji's message above). Tuna, 6 bajillion protein bars, protein shots, protein-infused crystal light thingys, and a few other treats are en route to the Middle East.

Benji says hi.


He has also taken on a new work-out regime in Daddy's absense. Aside from our "necksercises" which I have named some tummy-time, head-holding activities, Benji hit the work-out jackpot yesterday with some new equipment.


He LOVES bouncing (aside from his affinity to bright lights - disregard the slight distraction mid-bounce). His right leg is going to be jacked because he prefers a lopsided bounce but no matter how he makes it go, the point is, he's bouncin'!  (mute these to spare yourself my ridiculous commentary)


This kid is digging the jump-a-roo. Now if only he'd roll...

'Well wouldja look at that,' a family of skinnies! Stop laughing, at least one of us has socially acceptable chub.


I'll leave you with some sweet dreams of Kandahar, as highlighted in Matt's info packet that he tossed to me on his way out.

"We are in a year round malaria risk-zone" sounds inviting
"In order to prevent malaria, sleeves will be rolled down at all times" fashionable
"Bored in Kandahar? So is everyone else" I know, make them work 19 hours straight!
"No members of the opposite sex are allowed in your room" Thanks Uncle Sam
"Due to lack of sleep, constant contact with people and not eating right, many people develop cold or flu symptoms soon after arriving. To avoid the "Kandahar Crud" make sure you're physically fit before you travel and wash your hands often." Keep the crud in Kandahar
"Do not attempt to catch, kill or harass spiders, snakes, scorpions, cats, dogs or any other animals on base." Here kitty, kitty.
"Consider all bugs and snakes to be venomous. Shake out your boots. Keep your fingers in sight. Do not feed any rodents or stray animals. Take your malaria pills. Food scraps attract rodents and rodents attract snakes." See previous blog post 
Benji's thoughts....

 
*Look who figured out a)how to use her ipad for videos b)how to put videos on her blog c)how annoying her voice sounds (sorry Matt~ and youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment