Friday, April 13, 2012

Bunny Tales

What would a stint without Matt be without an 'incident' of this nature.... let's bring the death toll up to 4 critters. 4 for 4 without Matt around. WHY me?!?

foreshadowing

Twas night before Easter when outside the house,
my brother Patrick was grilling in place of my spouse.
"Does Walt have a toy bunny?" he asked with such care.
"No he doesn't but there are a few life-like stuffed bears."

"No I'm sure its a bunny," he adamantly said.
 I rushed out the door and I faced it with dread.
There sat big Walter, limp rabbit in mouth,
The bunny hung lifeless, his luck had run out.

When out on the lawn, there arose such a clatter,
Gus had just finished relieving his bladder.
Straight on to Walter he flew like a flash
Grabbed hold of the bunny and tore it in half.

As if in slow motion, I witnessed the shred.
Both dogs, while startled, pounced right on what bled.
When what to my horror-stricken eyes should appear?
Walt's half with the head, in 1 swallow, DISAPPEARED.

A head, a skull, a brain and eyeballs,
fur and a ribcage, and 2 hoppity front paws.
More rapid than eagles he scarfed that thing down.
Then he looked over to Gus to get another round.

Not Gus! He's my baby! He can't eat a rabbit!
Walter's digusting! How the hell did he knab it?
Get into your kennel! Wait, I don't want you inside!
Gus put down your chunk for a fresh bacon bribe!

Gus was busy gnawing on the back bunny piece,
like a bloody lambchop, he had the back legs and the meat.
One end of his mouth, furry hind legs exposed,
But the other was a wad of guts, blood and gross.

I thew him some turkey, and a little dog treat.
Gus usually flies at the chance for some eats.
But the bunny drumstick that night, was more than enough,
until Walter came flying to get some more stuff.

A dog fight ensued, for a chance at the feet.
Gus walked away with his prize Walt moped in defeat.
I decided to wrangle them into their cages,
despite my fear for their intestinal rages.

Walter complied! 1 down, how merry!
I went back outside for Gus, the disobedient terri (er)
I went armed with bacon and then just like that,
Gus trotted up to me and right down he sat.

Perfect! Eat Bacon! To your kennel we go!
Enough of this gory, Easter massacre show!
I went back to the yard to retrieve the hare drumstick,
But it was NOWHERE, dont let Gus get tum-sick!

Wally's big swallow, though nasty, made sense.
He's a small horse and can wolf things~ its intense.
Gus on the otherhand is scruffy and smaller.
Hind legs and bones don't chew up... and he swaller'ed.

As if witness to the ripping wasn't enough,
my mind raced to piles of bunnies and upchuck.
I was sure I would find a whole head or a leg,
ralphed up in the kennel the following day.

Luckily for me, they've kept Peter (cottontail) down,
and luckily Benji is too young to frown.
Witnessing that right before Easter day,
could be traumatic for a kid who wants candy and eggs.

The irony of the murder of the Easter Bunny,
hours before Easter, turned out kind of funny.
Wally & Gus and a limp rabbit, what a sight!
Happy Easter to all, and to all a good bite!

As I have said a number of times before, why wouldn't this happen when Matt is gone? It seems to be my running track record. Every bug incident and road kill incident I have EVER encountered in my house have happened in Matt's absence. I guess we can look on the bright side and say, we got that out of the way, so it's time for Matt to come home!

1 comment:

  1. This was quite the scene to witness
    And right before dinner!

    ReplyDelete